– Jake Barnes, the narrator starts off delivering a biographical drawing of Robert Cohn, his friend. Jake is a veteran in World War 1 who is a journalist in Paris. His friend, Robert Cohn is a Jewish writer who also lives in Paris. Because of his very controlling girlfriend, Robert asks Jake to go with him to South America, but Jake refuses. That night Jake goes out to a dance club and sees the love of his life, a divorced socialite named Lady Brett Ashley. They had met in England during World War 1 when she had treated him for a war wound. She is an independent woman and free spirited. Lady Brett Ashley loves Jake but is not willing to give up sex to be in a committed relationship. The next day Jake and Cohn talk about Lady Brett and how she is going to marry an alcoholic Scottish veteran. After Lady Brett did not go through with her plans she arrives at Jake's house to tell him that she is moving to San Sebastian in Spain. Brett is gone and so is Jake's friend Cohn so Bill Gorton, one of Jake's friends comes to Paris to plan a trip with Jake to Spain. Bill Gorton and Jake meet Cohn in south of France and then travel to Spain. Once again Brett and Mike do not go through with their plans to meet Jake that night. Jake and Bill leave to fish while Cohn stays thinking that she might show up. Five days later they get a letter from Mike saying that they will be in Pamplona soon and they meet up later that day to go to a fiesta which starts in a couple days. When Cohn finds out Brett is in love with Romero, a bull fighter he then beats up Mike and Jake and later asks for their forgiveness. They all go their separate ways and Jake helps out Brett to get Mike back.
– Jake Barnes is the narrator and an American veteran of World War I who is a journalist in Paris. He is in love with Lady Brett Ashley just like the rest of his friends but she does not want to be in a committed relationship. Lady Brett leaves for Spain and later on Jake and his friends meet her there. Jake tries to help out Lady Brett as much as possible. He does not tell his friends how much he cares for Brett because he knows how much they care about her and all he does is try to help her out. In the end he leaves Spain but later returns to help Lady Brett Ashley find Mike after her relationship with Romero ends.
– Lady Brett Ashley is a gorgeous British socialite who is a huge alcoholic and going through a divorce. She does love Jake but is not wanting to get into a relationship with him because she is not wanting to give up sex to be in a committed relationship. She does not want to commit to any relationship and goes back and forth from ex relationships and new ones. She does not want to stay with one guy and is very unfaithful.
– In the novel The Sun Also Rises it takes place in Paris when an American veteran of World War I becomes a journalist just like his friend Cohn. They work together and are good friends until a beautiful woman named Lady Brett Ashley comes along and sees Jake at a dance club. She had helped treat him when he got wounded in the war and ever since then he has been in love with her. Though she won't date him because she does not want to be in a relationship and give up sex but she does love him. His friend Cohn loves Brett and to the point to where he is overly protective. With Cohn being overly protective of Brett he beats up anyone she is with because he is jealous which causes him to beat up his own friend and almost ruin their friendship over Lady Brett. Lady Brett had first met Jake when treating him for a wound he got while in battle and they loved each other but because she is not faithful and committing in a relationship she did not want to date him or his friend but instead used them to get what she wanted.
– Jake is in love with a young woman named Lady Brett and she loves him too, but won't date him because she does not want to be in a committed relationship with anyone. Jake's friend Cohn is also madly in love with Lady Brett and is overly protective which causes him to beat up his friends for getting too close to her. Cohn also beats up Brett's current lover who is a bull rider at the fiesta.
– Jake's love for Lady Brett causes him to go visit her whenever she wants him too and help her out with current lovers. At the end he goes back to Madrid to help the one he loves get back with her ex, Mike.
– Jake's friend Robert Cohn is in love with the same woman and is too overly protective of her which causes him to act out whenever he is drunk almost ending their friendship.
– Lady Brett Ashley is the main cause for any problems throughout the novel. Her beauty causes the men who fall for her to accidentally turn on each other or use them to get to another guy.
– Love is a big symbol in the novel. All three of the men love Lady Brett and would do anything for her which causes them to fight over Brett.
– Friendship is a symbol because the situations really tested their friendship and if they would chose each other over the love of their life. They fought over her but at the end they apologized to each other.
– Brett did not believe in a relationship with one guy but moved back and forth through different guys and used their love for her to get them what they want. Both of the friends wanted to have a relationship with her and that was the main problem in the story.
– Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzf1ukoZ-7o
– Hemingway, Ernest. "Sparknotes The Sun Also Rises."http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/sun/summary.html. N.p.. Web. 2 Apr 2013.